JUST IN! 2015 Waimanalo Market Annual Report can be downloaded here: Annual_Report_2015
April 17, 2015 Co-op General Manager The Waimanalo Market Co-op (WMC) seeks an experienced and innovative leader for the position of General Manager. Individual must have vision and leadership ability to deliver the highest levels of customer service; advance our Hawai‘i consumer cooperative association (Co-op) to become a vibrant and competitive business while growing and
Aloha! Come join us at Waimanalo Market Co-op for a potluck dinner and open membership meeting. Wednesday, November 12, 6:30pm-8pm *Check out the Co-op Upgrade and discuss what’s next! *Meet your new board members! *Hear about plans for our second year of operation! *We need your mana’o! Eating starts at 6:30. Meeting starts at 7pm.
JUST IN! 2015 Waimanalo Market Annual Report can be downloaded here:
April 17, 2015
Co-op General Manager
The Waimanalo Market Co-op (WMC) seeks an experienced and innovative leader for the position of General Manager. Individual must have vision and leadership ability to deliver the highest levels of customer service; advance our Hawai‘i consumer cooperative association (Co-op) to become a vibrant and competitive business while growing and maintaining our role as part of our community. The manager will harness our potential as a cooperatively-owned business, build new collaborations with community, food and agricultural groups in the region and serve as a leader in the movement toward a more socially just and environmentally sustainable food system in Hawaii. The General Manager is responsible for fulfilling grant requirements and guiding the day-to-day operations of the store. The General Manager reports to the Board President and collaborates with a Board of Directors elected by and from the Co-op’s members.
Desired Qualifications include: clear communication in written and spoken form; retail food and cooperative business management experience; experience with annual sales volume of $1 million; ability to create and implement strategy for growth in a competitive market, with a focus on value-added products and locally grown produce; and experience in grant management.
For more information about the Co-op, go to our website at: www.waimanalomarket.com.
Applications should include a resume and letter specifying desired salary range and be mailed to Waimanalo Market Co-op, Attn: Search Committee, PO Box 390, Waimanalo, HI 96795.
Come join us at Waimanalo Market Co-op for a potluck dinner and open membership meeting.
Wednesday, November 12, 6:30pm-8pm
*Check out the Co-op Upgrade and discuss what’s next!
*Meet your new board members!
*Hear about plans for our second year of operation!
*We need your mana’o!
Eating starts at 6:30. Meeting starts at 7pm.
Look forward to seeing you. Mahalo.
-Board of Directors & General Manager, Waimanalo Market Co-op
On Thursday Nov 6, PoiMobile - mobile licensed kitchen for farmers & families, especially for kalo and kalo value-added & others produce welcome - will resume at the Waimanalo Market Co-op Thursdays and Fridays.
For more info and to schedule use, call Martha at 265.0373 or email email@example.com.
Please join Waimanalo Market Co-op and Hi‘ilei Aloha LLC/Poi Mobile at an open-house featuring a NEW commercial kitchen opportunity. Spread the word…
Open House Dates/Time:
Thursday, Oct 16, 9am-6pm
Friday, Oct 17, 9am–6pm
Saturday, Oct 18, 9am–Noon
Thursday, October 23, 9am-6pm
Friday October 24, 9am–6pm
Place: The PoiMobile Commercial Kitchen at Waimanalo Market Co-op’s (formerly Mel’s Market) Parking Lot
Who: Waimanalo Community and neighbors are invited to visit a new mobile commercial kitchen opportunity. This opportunity is especially useful for kalo farmers, and other farmers, home growers, aquaponics producers, interested in producing value-added products, as well as families growing kalo or increasing kalo in their diet.
What: Through a grant, Hi‘ilei Aloha LLC is able to bring PoiMobile, a mobile licensed commercial kitchen, to Kalo farmers, other produce farmers/growers and families who need access to tools in a licensed, commercial kitchen. Kalo farmers are the top priority, and others are encouraged to participate as well. Plan is to be in Waimanalo weekly, more details to come.
- Counter space for preparing kalo, other vegetables and fruits
- 2-45LB capacity pressure cookers
- Poi grinder
- Stovetop Burners(Note:No oven for baking)
- A grill
- Assistance with necessary packaging and labeling, for selling products through PoiMobile, Waimanalo Market Co-op, or other locations
Drop by for a visit, check out the kitchen and talk story with Lena Racimo, PoiMobile Manager.
NOTE: We will send out more information soon after the open house, announcing future demonstrations and explaining how to schedule time to use the kitchen to see if it fits your needs. No charge for use. Each responsible for own clean-up.
For more info: Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 265.0373. Mahalo.
Our Waimanalo Market Co-op Board of Directors and Interim General Manager Martha Ross are pleased to announce we are preparing for our community-driven cooperative’s
Next Stage of Growth.
To serve you better, we will TEMPORARILY CLOSE Thursday, September 25, and RE-OPEN Thursday, October 23, 2014.
NOTE: We are open this week, TH Sept 18 – SUN Sept 21, please visit your Waimanalo Market Co-op. Support local farmers, vendors and artists. Help your Co-op prosper and grow.
Accomplishments as of September 17, 2014:
- Signed lease
- Federal grant approved with details to be officially announced in October – November
- Applications for other grants submitted
- 110 Members and Pledges, 40 local local farmers/growers and 55 community consignment artists/crafters and value-added products vendors
- Steering Committee completed start-up
- Board of Directors and Interim General Manager carrying forward
- Hundreds of hours of volunteer and technical assistance already provided by Members, Pledges, student interns, and business, legal, building, management, cooperative, accounting, bookkeeping, musician, retail space efficiency, photography, strong hands, web and social media, graphic art, marketing, painters, retail space beautification, shopping, cashiers, cleaners, customer service, insurance plus more… experts and professionals
- Clean, friendly, community-focused, customer service oriented market, open Thursday – Sunday, 9am – 6pm since November 14, 2014, stocked with fresh local produce - utilizing 240 lbs of ice per day, local value-added products and local made arts and crafts
- Community partners including Waimanalo Health Center, Hui Malama O Ke Kai, Job Corps Hawai’i, UH CTAHR & Go Farm, Waimanalo Seniors, Waimanalo Homestaed Association, Waimanalo Hawaiian Civic Club, plus more, and other partners including Laulima Center- Kohala Center, SCORE, Hawai’i Pacific University and University of Hawai’i
- Solid, though basic infrastructure in place … cashier and point of sale system – by hand, member program, volunteer program, member and customer communication programs, website and social media sytem and bookkeeping, record keeping and accounting system
- 96795 News launched and published
- Basic community outreach and member recruitment program
- Basic initial business and capital development plan
- Successful August 3 open house and membership drive with ono food by Members, with Kawika Kahiapo, and Jerry Santos, Haunani Apoliona and Ryan Tang of Olomana sharing their musical talents
- Received donations of furniture, produce, office supplies and goods for Co-op garage sale tables in the future
- Articles in Advertiser and Midweek, OHA Trustee column focused on Co-op and Waimanalo community, and regular reporting to Waimanalo Neighborhood Board
- Permits filed and electric and plumbing construction underway for sockets, ceiling fans, lights, cold prep kitchen and sign
- Upgrade of Cash register and point of sale sytem, including EBT/SNAP utilization application in progress
- Re-tooled community-friendly country market with retail space used more efficiently and beautifully
- New and revitalized community outreach and member recruitment program
- Return of UH Go Farm farmers, joining our family of growers/farmers, value-added product vendors and consignment artists and crafters
- Expanded and automated book keeping, accounting system and fiscal reporting system
- Insurance updated, human resource services researched for hiring of employees
- Details on implementation of the federal grant program October-November
- Updated business and capital development plan in progress
- Additional capital report
- New marketing plan
- Updated 96795 News in progress
- Updated website and social media in progress
- Re-tooled volunteer program
- More local growers/farmers, artists, crafters, value-added vendors
- Updated member, customer, vendor, farmer/grower, artist/crafter data bases, communication programs and agreements
- Expanded community access to licensed food vendors
- One or more refrigeration units
As always, if you have suggestions, or can donate time, equipment or goods, please call or email Martha at 808.265.0373 or email@example.com. We will be following up with those who have already expressed an interest in social media and website help.
Waimanalo Market Co-op is a Hawai’i Consumer Cooperative Association, non-stock option, under Hawai’i revised Statutes 420C. A community-driven, member-owned, break-even cooperative for-profit business.
We are open this week, Thursday September 18 - Sunday September 21, 9am – 6pm. A hui hou. Aloha.
Look forward to seeing you at Waimanalo Market Co-op.