Open-House Featuring a New Commercial Kitchen Opportunity for Waimanalo Community Please join Waimanalo Market Co-op and Hi‘ilei Aloha LLC/Poi Mobile at an open-house featuring a NEW commercial kitchen opportunity. Spread the word… Open House Dates/Time: Thursday, Oct 16, 9am-6pm Friday, Oct 17, 9am–6pm Saturday, Oct 18, 9am–Noon Thursday, October 23, 9am-6pm Friday October
Aloha kakou, Our Waimanalo Market Co-op Board of Directors and Interim General Manager Martha Ross are pleased to announce we are preparing for our community-driven cooperative’s Next Stage of Growth. To serve you better, we will TEMPORARILY CLOSE Thursday, September 25, and RE-OPEN Thursday, October 23, 2014. NOTE: We are open this week, TH Sept 18 – SUN Sept
Please join Waimanalo Market Co-op and Hi‘ilei Aloha LLC/Poi Mobile at an open-house featuring a NEW commercial kitchen opportunity. Spread the word…
Open House Dates/Time:
Thursday, Oct 16, 9am-6pm
Friday, Oct 17, 9am–6pm
Saturday, Oct 18, 9am–Noon
Thursday, October 23, 9am-6pm
Friday October 24, 9am–6pm
Place: The PoiMobile Commercial Kitchen at Waimanalo Market Co-op’s (formerly Mel’s Market) Parking Lot
Who: Waimanalo Community and neighbors are invited to visit a new mobile commercial kitchen opportunity. This opportunity is especially useful for kalo farmers, and other farmers, home growers, aquaponics producers, interested in producing value-added products, as well as families growing kalo or increasing kalo in their diet.
What: Through a grant, Hi‘ilei Aloha LLC is able to bring PoiMobile, a mobile licensed commercial kitchen, to Kalo farmers, other produce farmers/growers and families who need access to tools in a licensed, commercial kitchen. Kalo farmers are the top priority, and others are encouraged to participate as well. Plan is to be in Waimanalo weekly, more details to come.
- Counter space for preparing kalo, other vegetables and fruits
- 2-45LB capacity pressure cookers
- Poi grinder
- Stovetop Burners(Note:No oven for baking)
- A grill
- Assistance with necessary packaging and labeling, for selling products through PoiMobile, Waimanalo Market Co-op, or other locations
Drop by for a visit, check out the kitchen and talk story with Lena Racimo, PoiMobile Manager.
NOTE: We will send out more information soon after the open house, announcing future demonstrations and explaining how to schedule time to use the kitchen to see if it fits your needs. No charge for use. Each responsible for own clean-up.
For more info: Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 265.0373. Mahalo.
Our Waimanalo Market Co-op Board of Directors and Interim General Manager Martha Ross are pleased to announce we are preparing for our community-driven cooperative’s
Next Stage of Growth.
To serve you better, we will TEMPORARILY CLOSE Thursday, September 25, and RE-OPEN Thursday, October 23, 2014.
NOTE: We are open this week, TH Sept 18 – SUN Sept 21, please visit your Waimanalo Market Co-op. Support local farmers, vendors and artists. Help your Co-op prosper and grow.
Accomplishments as of September 17, 2014:
- Signed lease
- Federal grant approved with details to be officially announced in October – November
- Applications for other grants submitted
- 110 Members and Pledges, 40 local local farmers/growers and 55 community consignment artists/crafters and value-added products vendors
- Steering Committee completed start-up
- Board of Directors and Interim General Manager carrying forward
- Hundreds of hours of volunteer and technical assistance already provided by Members, Pledges, student interns, and business, legal, building, management, cooperative, accounting, bookkeeping, musician, retail space efficiency, photography, strong hands, web and social media, graphic art, marketing, painters, retail space beautification, shopping, cashiers, cleaners, customer service, insurance plus more… experts and professionals
- Clean, friendly, community-focused, customer service oriented market, open Thursday – Sunday, 9am – 6pm since November 14, 2014, stocked with fresh local produce - utilizing 240 lbs of ice per day, local value-added products and local made arts and crafts
- Community partners including Waimanalo Health Center, Hui Malama O Ke Kai, Job Corps Hawai’i, UH CTAHR & Go Farm, Waimanalo Seniors, Waimanalo Homestaed Association, Waimanalo Hawaiian Civic Club, plus more, and other partners including Laulima Center- Kohala Center, SCORE, Hawai’i Pacific University and University of Hawai’i
- Solid, though basic infrastructure in place … cashier and point of sale system – by hand, member program, volunteer program, member and customer communication programs, website and social media sytem and bookkeeping, record keeping and accounting system
- 96795 News launched and published
- Basic community outreach and member recruitment program
- Basic initial business and capital development plan
- Successful August 3 open house and membership drive with ono food by Members, with Kawika Kahiapo, and Jerry Santos, Haunani Apoliona and Ryan Tang of Olomana sharing their musical talents
- Received donations of furniture, produce, office supplies and goods for Co-op garage sale tables in the future
- Articles in Advertiser and Midweek, OHA Trustee column focused on Co-op and Waimanalo community, and regular reporting to Waimanalo Neighborhood Board
- Permits filed and electric and plumbing construction underway for sockets, ceiling fans, lights, cold prep kitchen and sign
- Upgrade of Cash register and point of sale sytem, including EBT/SNAP utilization application in progress
- Re-tooled community-friendly country market with retail space used more efficiently and beautifully
- New and revitalized community outreach and member recruitment program
- Return of UH Go Farm farmers, joining our family of growers/farmers, value-added product vendors and consignment artists and crafters
- Expanded and automated book keeping, accounting system and fiscal reporting system
- Insurance updated, human resource services researched for hiring of employees
- Details on implementation of the federal grant program October-November
- Updated business and capital development plan in progress
- Additional capital report
- New marketing plan
- Updated 96795 News in progress
- Updated website and social media in progress
- Re-tooled volunteer program
- More local growers/farmers, artists, crafters, value-added vendors
- Updated member, customer, vendor, farmer/grower, artist/crafter data bases, communication programs and agreements
- Expanded community access to licensed food vendors
- One or more refrigeration units
As always, if you have suggestions, or can donate time, equipment or goods, please call or email Martha at 808.265.0373 or email@example.com. We will be following up with those who have already expressed an interest in social media and website help.
Waimanalo Market Co-op is a Hawai’i Consumer Cooperative Association, non-stock option, under Hawai’i revised Statutes 420C. A community-driven, member-owned, break-even cooperative for-profit business.
We are open this week, Thursday September 18 - Sunday September 21, 9am – 6pm. A hui hou. Aloha.
Look forward to seeing you at Waimanalo Market Co-op.
Did anyone say: “Corn”?!?!?!!
First crop of the season, grown right here in Waimanalo!
Also this week:
Surprisingly sweet & energy-boosting; the amazing & wonderful Hakurei Turnip makes an appearance this week. Delicious raw.
Another fun first here at the market:
Take a look around at some of the things we offer here at the market!
All locally grown fruits and produce as well as many lovely hand made items.
Visit Waimanalo Market Co-op this week for fresh local grown veggies including round and long eggplant, daikon, also HANALEI POI and local made arts and crafts.
Beginning late afternoon this Saturday May 10 – Sunday May 11 we will have
FREE ulu tree plants for the first 20 interested people!!
This Saturday May 10th, join us for an art showing by local Waimanalo resident Marie “Malia” Peterson
Come by late Saturday morning/afternoon to see her beautiful work!
We are located:
41-1029 Kalaniana’ole Hwy, Waimanalo, HI. 95795
Former Mel’s Market between Sweet Home Waimanalo and McDonald’s.
Open Thursdays – Sundays, 9am – 6pm.
E Komo Mai